Bisibelabath has been my favourite karnataka dish.I learnt this recipe from one of our neighbour aunty in Bangalore, when i was doing my graduation.I still remember the way aunty explanied to me..she was telling me that i should remeber that we use 12 ingrediants for it.I still remember them in that order.Here goes the recipe for it.
Tuvardal - 3/4 cup
Vegetables - 1 cup ( carrot, beans & peas)
Tomatoe - 1 medium sized
Onino- 1 medium sized
Tamrind - small lemon size
Sambar powder- 1tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2tsp
Salt - To taste.
Water - 4cups'
To Fry and Grind:-
Dry coconut(copra) - 2tbsp
dhania - 1tbsp
red chilli - 4-5(kashmiri chillies)
bengal gram - 1tsp
Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
kuskus - 1/4tsp
elachi - 2
clove - 2
cinnamon - 1" piece(optional)
jeera - 1tsp
pepper - 1tsp
hing - a pinch
1) Pressure cook the Dal along with Diced tomatoe, onion and cubed vegetables.
2) Fry and Grind all the ingrediants of To Fry and Grind.
3) Mix this paste along with the rice to the cooked dal
4) Add tamarind water to this along with sambar powder,turmeric powder,salt and 4
cups of water.
5) Pressure Cook this for 5 whistles.
6) Finally add Ghee and serve hot with bondi or mixture.
This rice really tastes very good when served steaming hot as the name indicates Bisi in kannada means Hot.:-)
I have used shreeded coconut instead of copra as i couldnt get hold of copra.Use of copra enhances the taste.