Idli and Dosa are an integral part of breakfast of every southindian home.I remember my mom used to make idli dough almost 3 times in a week. And during olden days the grinding process was realy hectic and now its made easy with the help of wetgrinders. Fermenting was a big pblm for me until my friend told me a method.Now fermenting the dough is easy..and the idli and dosa turn out really great..Here is how i make the dough
Parboiled(Idli) rice (Puzhungalarisi or idli rice) - 3 cups
RawRice - 1 cup
Urad dhal - 1 cup(if using broken one,if using whole urad then 3/4 cup)
Methi Seeds - 1 tsp
1) Wash and Soak the rice and urad dal with methi seeds separetly for about 6 hrs.
2) Grind the urad dal with methi seeds first for about 40 mts
3) Then grind the rice to a slightly rough consistency dough.
4) Add a little salt and Mix both the dough together with hand.This is very important for fermentation. Dont use spatulas.
5) Preheat the oven to 215F and switch off and place the dough and leave it over night for fermentation.
Steam Idlis with this dough for about 10-15 mts.
For variation in Dosa checkout Kitchenmate's recipe HERE
If one is from the southern part of india,then for sure they would know about this podi that i'm blogging about.This is one best combo with idli and dosa apart from sambar and every house for sure will have a stock of this podi..Here is how we make them.
RedChillies - 1 cup
Urad dal - 3/4 cup
Bengal gram - 1 tbsp
Sesame Seed - 1 tsp
RawRice - 1 tsp
Hing - 3/4 tsp
Garlic pods - 2
1) Heat oil in a kadai and fry the red chillies for a few minutes.
2) Remove the chillies and fry the urad dal, bengal gram, sesame seed, raw rice, hing till the dals turn lightly brown.
3) Cool these ingrediants and grind them to a coarse powder along with salt and garlic pods.
Allow the the powder to cool and store them in airtight container.This podi goes very well with idli,dosa and rice..
Check out for another variation of podi by Vineela HERE
This is my entry to SaffornTrial's Weekend breakfast blogging event.